Monday 12 March 2007

My favourite manga series at this time

At the present time, my favourite manga is called Fruits Basket. It's written by a woman named Natsuki Takaya (her pen name; real name is unknown). I think there are 23 volumes in total in the series and I've read the first 14. Takaya has written 22 volumes last time I checked. So far I know, 20 volumes have been released in Australia; 15 volumes have been released in the US; 20 volumes have been released in Singapore; 19 volumes have been released in France; 19 volumes have been released in Italy; 20 volumes have been released in Mexico; 20 have been released in Brazil; 14 in Spain; 11 in Germany; and 14 in Indonesia (thanks to Wikipedia for that information). There are many publishers for it. The main publisher in Australian and NZ are Madman Entertainment, but I don't really like that edition. I prefer the TOKYOPOP books myself, but read whatever suits you.

Fruits Basket is one of those series where you just can't skip a volume and read the next. My friends have done that but it didn't make much sense to them. I'm a person willing to wait for the other books to be released. I love this series! It's one of those series that will make you laught out loud wherever you are. Miss Takaya did a fantastic job. I wish her well with other series.

I highly reccomend this series to people who love comedy mixed in with a little bit of drama, romance, and magic. (And I mean a little bit of magic). I reccomend it for mature 11-year-old's and up. The more times you read it, the more little things you will notice.

The main character is Tohru Honda, an 16-year-old whose mother dies earlier that year, leaving her an orphan. She's the type of girl who is slightly naive and sees the good in every person. To not be a burden on her grandfather, she decides to live in a tent in the bush. And then one day she meets the mysterious and super-popular (although he doesn't think so) Yuki Sohma, and, as they say, the rest is history.

There is an anime, and I bought the box set, but I didn't like it very much. The first 8 volumes had been released at the time when it was made, and so I understand that they had to make do with what they had, but... If they plan on another series, it'll be a difficult thing to do. I watched it in English, and now I'm watching it in Japanese. I must say it's a lot funnier in Japanese.

(By the way with Ouran High School Host Club, I may have forgotten to mention that you can only get it in Japanese; they never put it in English, but you can find it wit subtitles.)

No comments: